Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Deciding on Home Birth

Ok, so as soon as I found out I was expecting, I started to panic about how this baby was going to make it out. As a lifelong avoider of pain, I have been pretty set on a planned c-section to be my choice when and if I ever decided (was lucky enough) to have a child. My boyfriend, Patrick, although not thrilled with this idea, was supportive of my choice.
I was between jobs when we got the good news about the baby, so I found myself browsing Netflix one day between surfing LinkedIn and Monster.com. I found the documentary "The Business of Being Born", and watched it.

You can check it out here: http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/

Lets just say it changed my whole perspective on how to give birth to my child and propelled me into a research frenzy. I had let fear of the unknown and an aversion to pain lead me to choose a major surgical procedure to give birth. Popular culture and the medical community says this is safe...but my research contradicted this.

Check out this movie, do some research, and make a birth plan that is right for you. Patrick and I chose to find a Certified Nurse Midwife and plan for a home birth. My fear hasn't gone away...but I am excited and optimisitic that I"ll have a great birth experience. I encourage you to watch this movie, then read everything you can get your hands on before you let a doctor or a insurance company tell you what is right for you.

No comments: